January 05, 2005

Books read in 2004

I started 2004 with a lofty, unrealistic goal of reading 50 books through the year, knowing at the back of my mind that it was a bit ambitious to plan reading a book a week. I got through only about 17 books (including a couple of partial reads). Upon reflection at the end of the year, I am quite happy with the variety of topics that I read about.

Here's a list of books that I read through the year:

1. Jhumpa Lahiri - The Namesake
2. Gurcharan Das - The Elephant Paradigm
3. Sulakshana Mahajan - "Jag Badalal'e" (Marathi)
4. Sulakshana Mahajan - Arthavyavasthaanche Swabhaav (Marathi translation of Jane Jacobs' "The Nature of Economies")
5. Lawrence Lessig - Free Culture
6. Bhisham Sahni - Tamas
7. W. Somerset Maugham - The Moon and Sixpence
8. Michael Frayn - Copenhagen
9. John Gribbin -  In search of Schrodinger's Cat
10. Chintamani Deshmukh - Homi Jehangir Bhabha
11. Richard Posner - Antitrust Law: An Economic Perspective
12. Laxman Londhe and Chintamani Deshmukh - Devaansi Jive Maarile (Marathi)
13. Guy De Maupassant - Selected short stories
14. Robin Wilson - Four Colors Suffice
15. Peter Drahos with John Braithwaite - Information Feudalism
16. Lawrence Lessig - Code and the Other Laws of Cyberspace
17. Pavan K. Verma - The Great Indian Middle Class

1 comment:

Ajit said...

I miss Dom Moraes' name on the list. I strongly recommend his "My son's father" (which you have with you I guess). Recently, I read "Gone Away", his journey-log of India. Now I am trying to find his poetry!

Post a Comment