December 31, 2005

Indian Ocean's Black Friday Soundtrack

This is an awesome soundtrack from an awesome band. I have long been a fan of Indian Ocean's unique blend of Indian, Jazz and Western music. The result of this fusion is that music that one cannot stop listening to. Sometime in the last year or so, Indian Ocean's music for Anurag Kashyap's controversial film about the Mumbai bomb blasts - Black Friday - was released. The soundtrack is very good, and seems very situational, with tracks titled as "RDX", "Memon House", and "Bomb Planting".

The soundtrack also includes three songs performed by the band - Bandeh, Badshah in Jail and Bharam Bap Ke. The lyrics by Piyush Mishra are very good, and the music is unlike any heard in Indian movies before. It is very Indian Ocean, and seems directly suited to the theme of the movie.

A few days back I was listening to some of Indian Ocean's early albums. I realized that Bandeh is loosely based on their song "Torrent" from the self-titled album "Indian Ocean". Also, "Bharam Bap Ke" is an updated version of "Brisk Lonely Walk" from the same album. Both tracks were purely instrumental in their original incarnation. The added lyrics and vocals, as well as the use of additional instruments (probably sarangi) in the new versions gives an entirely new feel to the tunes. It is amazing what such talented musicians can do when revisiting some of their older material!

And how I wish I could attend a live performance by Indian Ocean sometime soon!

6 comments:

Rajesh said...

hello,

Well i too am a diehard fan of the band, and have listened to songs of black friday and loved them. But having listeneed to all of their previous songs as well, I noted this striking comment you made that torrent and bandheh look similar. Well, I never took it in that sense, because I never thought so. But for sure, when I listen to these songs again, would think of this note you made.

Also, I have not listened to the other songs you mentioned named brisk roads..could you please send that song to me..?? My email id is: rajesh.bachani@gmail.com

Would be grateful...

Rajesh Bachani

One in the crowd said...

I haven't come across a bad IO track yet...and I have been fortunate enough to have attended their concerts on more than one occasion. Take my word, they won't let you down.

Anonymous said...

hi

Anonymous said...

hi

Anonymous said...

where i can download there songs (especially "bandeh")
please mail me the link.
dwaipayan.karanjai@gmail.com

Naveen said...

I got the track bandeh from
cooltoad.com....type the key word
bandeh and download..enjoy...

Post a Comment